It’s expected as a truck driver that you’re going to have to pull your truck to the roadside at some point in your career. Tires blow out, accidents happen, and trucks break down. Here are some roadside safety tips for truck drivers to help you handle this situation.
- When you’re on the side of the road, be sure to have safety equipment including flashers, cones, reflective triangles, and maybe even road flares to alert other drivers.
- Unless your truck is unsafe to be in, stay inside to avoid being out near the roadway.
- If you need to open your driver side door, check before to make sure nothing is coming up the road.
- Do not roll your windows down if your truck is in idle. Fumes could come in through the open windows.
- Last, make sure to keep plenty of supplies in your truck in case you’re stuck for a while. Check out our post with items for Emergency Trucking Safety Equipment to have on-hand.
Do you have any stories about being stuck on the side of the road or tips to share? Leave us a comment. We’d love to hear your thoughts!